Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Training Brag/updates

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Training Brag/updates Empty
PostSubject: Training Brag/updates   Training Brag/updates Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 8:59 pm

I consulted a trainer to help towards our goal of obtaining his CGC and TDI titles. Here's our progress thus far

May 29, 2008

Evaluation today. We sat down and discussed a few things and then took Trav out to work with him.
He was great. She kept commenting on what a smart dog he was and how quick he catches on to things.

Here's the best part of our session, she took him within five feet of a fence where there was a dog barking histerically. She put Travis in a Sitz and Bleib and he just sat there. Not once did he pay any attention to the dog or make any attempt to bark.
For anyone who has heard me talk about how he used to react to strange dogs, you'll know how awesome that moment was.

She said we'll go far and we're doing great. She said she knows and can tell how serious I am about his training so she has no doubt we'll do great.

I'm supposed to take him out to 12 different places a week, but because I work so much she said if I make it to 5 places we're in good shape.

In about two weeks we're going to meet at Petco and do some work in the parking lot and in the store so she can see how he is in that environment.

I'm on the roster for her Obedience class in July. It's a seven week course. The sixth week we do a 'field trip' to an outlet mall and the seventh week we get our certificate. Throughout the class we work on Agility equipment, playground equipment and do other obedience work. I'm very excited.

She also has me on the list for her CGC/Therapy class this summer.

------

After today I've decided to switch him completely to German. Today we used 'Sitz' , 'Fuss' and 'Bleib' all of which he picked up on right away.
So he is now using four German commands. [Platz -down- , Sitz -sit-, Fuss -heel- , Bleib -stay/wait- ]

Eventually 'Nix', 'Phooey' and 'Hup' will be used as well.

After our session I took him to Petco and the Outlet mall. I used Sitz, Platz and Fuss and he was awesome. I'm so proud of my boy.

May 30

I took him to a different Petsmart today. One he's never been to. Used Sitz, Platz and Fuss. Had this annoying little Pomeranian barking it's head off at him and not once did he bark back!
In line, yet another Pomeranian was behind us being annoying. Travis did start to growl so I handed my things to my friend and took Trav five feet away from the little bugger and put him in a Sitz, Platz and Bleib. He just laid there. He could still see the dog and was still pretty close to it, but he didn't growl or bark. He just stayed there. :]

I'm getting more and more excited about training. Taking him out to different places is fun and so rewarding.

The cashier thought it was so neat that he was taught in German. It was kind of funny.

May 31

While at Petsmart I had him in a Sitz while I was rummaging through my purse for some change. This lady came up asking if she could pet him so ofcourse I let her. It was quite sweet, she was sitting there telling him how handsome he was and that he was such a nice boy and to not let anyone tell him any different. It's nice to see people like that.
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Training Brag/updates   Training Brag/updates Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 10:23 pm

Sounds like you & Travis are doing fabulously well. It is a lot of fun to see your dog catch on to different things, not to mention behave well in public.

I don't have much time lately to work with my Cruiser-Bruiser or my Italians ... we just sort of brush up on old basics when we go for walks. Today ... Cruiser learned to play a form of "catch" in the house. He learned to drop his red rubber ball gently from the top of the hardwood stairs so it bounces down to the bottom where I catch it and toss it back to him to catch. I realized he was having fun bouncing the ball down the stairs by himself, going to get it, returning back to the top stair to repeat the whole process. (Funny, goofy dog!) After only a couple of times (tale wagging hard in delight, whacking against the stair rail), he figured out we were playing a game together. (Oh, JOY ... almost as good as getting dinner! Um, almost) For a six-year old dog, he still acts like "a kid." Too fun. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

PostSubject: Re: Training Brag/updates   Training Brag/updates Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 11:07 pm

LOL Patti, too cute!
Back to top Go down
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Training Brag/updates   Training Brag/updates Icon_minipostedWed Jun 04, 2008 8:33 am

Great job Ashley and Travis!

Well my Sasha wants to talk about her Flyball class - so here it is:

I had my first flyball training yesterday!
At first I was more interested in my new surroundings (lots of new scents and new doggies to sniff...) but once I got that taken care of, I watched others jump over the hurdles then hit the box with their paws and "pop", the ball came out! That was so cool!

When it was my turn, Mom lead me to the hurdles and I went over them. I quickly figured out how to press the box on my own too. (You know I would do anything for those Lamb sausages!) Since I was very good at responding to her voice command, the instructor told Mom to go ahead and take off my leash. So she did and I jumped over the hurdles all by myself and hit the box like a champ! The instructor was amazed how quickly I picked up things and told Mom that I had a great Paw-tential for this sport!

My mom was sooo happy with my work that she took me to Partridge Creek Mall after the training. We went to Three Dog Bakery and I sampled some yummy treats. I was so well-mannered and in my best-behavior that one of the customers, a young girl of about 12-13, was so impressed with me that she asked Mom what my name was. Mom didn't think nothing of it - little did we know that this friendly stranger decided to buy me a treat! It was a "Scary Cat" cookie and she had the nice young man in the store decorate it - he put my name on it with carob cream. How cool is that! To thank her, I shook her hand and gave her a gentle kiss. All the people at the store told mom what a beautiful and sweet girl I was! I know she was very proud of me.

Mom got me a cup of puppy ice cream to eat on the way home. She didn't get any ice cream for Snowy and Faith, because she was afraid it would melt before we get home. So Mom told me not to tell them about it. It was our little secret. So I kept my mouth shut - but Snowy and Faith found out anyway and they were so jealous of me! Well, mom didn't tell me not to let them sniff my face (and I can't eat an ice cream without getting it all on my face, can I????) BOL

Sasha

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

PostSubject: Re: Training Brag/updates   Training Brag/updates Icon_minipostedWed Jun 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Aw, good girl Sasha!
Sounds like you had a great day Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training Brag/updates   Training Brag/updates Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Training Brag/updates
Page 1 of 1