Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Training Gideon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-01-01

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedMon Feb 25, 2008 9:28 pm

okay Gideon is a trained, but I have a few important questions. Whenever I tell him something he wont do until i have to get really stern with him. What can I do to make him listen better? PLZ I NEED ADVICE!!! Shocked Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://shepherds4ever.forumotion.com
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedMon Feb 25, 2008 11:06 pm

You realize, of course, that I'm certainly no expert. rabbit The trainers I've worked with say the German Shepherd has a mind of his/her own and you have to work with them daily to ensure they remember WHO is expected to be giving the orders and WHO is expected to be taking the orders. Not, however, that I believe German Shepherds have a corner on that sort of envelope-pushing ... try a sighthound, sometime!

When I work with Cruiser every day, he's the best. If I get busy and let it slide for a little bit ... or maybe only play with him ... pretty soon he's "thinking about" whether or not he wants to do what I just told him to do, or maybe he's not in a great hurry to acknowledge I just called him, or he might try to barge into the backseat of the car without benefit of invitation. It's not him but me, darn it. The trainers say if I'd just work with him 15 - 20 minutes nearly every day, all would be well. I just don't.

Anyway ... if somebody else knows of a "magic pill" that will make these wonderful creatures into perfectly obedient dogs, please share ... I'm willing to layout money! :-) Meanwhile, they keep telling me: 1) lots of exercise to help keep them out of trouble, 2) discipline & practice, and 3) quality attention.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedMon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm

Thanks, that was helpful. I am with you though, sometimes I just dont have the time to go and work with him. I will try my best, and see how it goes! Thanks patti! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedTue Feb 26, 2008 11:39 am

Patti gave you excellent advice. Even 5 minutes a day makes a big difference!

I was gone to Ohio for a week, and when I came home, Rex was a maniac! Wouldn't listen, and was doing things that he didn't even do as a puppy. I have been calm/assertive, and have brought him back from the brink of disaster, just 15 minutes a day. My husband couldn't believe how easy it was to get him back on track. Of course, he did nothing with the dogs but feed and potty them, makes a big difference! affraid
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedTue Feb 26, 2008 3:45 pm

Oh, you make me LAUGH about your husband doing nothing with the dogs but feeding and letting them out. My sweetie has the same SOP with the dogs and "mom" is the disciplinarian. Ah, well ... they are certainly not abused. Razz
Back to top Go down
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-07

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Trav's focus used to be quite like Gideon's.

What method do you use? Do you Clicker train?

GSDs are definitely the type of breed that need daily work. Even 5 minutes a day will help improve focus.

I used to have trouble getting Travis to listen to me while out in public. I worked with him everyday. We ended up bonding more and are much more intune with eachother. I can take him into a crowded store with all sorts of new smells, sounds and people and still have him listen to me. We like to put on little 'trick shows' in Petsmart in the aisle's. We always gather a crowd. :]

Clicker training really does work wonders. Also, try teaching the 'watch' command if you haven't already. If you are unsure of how to teach that, I'll be more than happy to explain it to you.

Also, he's only 8 months old. You still have a rough road ahead of you. He is entering the 'teenage stage'. He will likely push your buttons and see just how much he can get away with. It will take extra effort to work through this but it IS possible. ;]
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 pm

Yeah Travis, I call it the "look" Rex now knows, that when I say look, he has to focus on my face. Eyes to eyes, and if he is really good with that, he gets a treat. I always tell him Good Look! and treat him, he can now look at me for at least 3 minutes, and if he looks away before that, he has to start over. The focus command, or look as I say is a god send. cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedSat Mar 08, 2008 10:27 am

no i dont use clicker, but since i posted this, i have been working with him about 10 minutes almost every day! GOSH HE IS SO MUCH BETTER. He is so good now. I will probably post a video, and some new pics soon, to show off my baby! Thanks for all the advice! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedSat Mar 08, 2008 10:54 am

Good for you, Amanda ... and the whole conversation reminded me that no matter how late I get home and no matter how tired I think I am, it's just as easy to do those chores and include the DOG with basic obedience practice as one goes through the house. My Cruiser-boy thinks he's getting quality attention, and I know I'm getting dedicated, loving attention ... a very nice collaborative thing to do at the end of an "interesting" day at work. Smile

Glad Gideon is such a quick responder, but he's so smart that I'm not at all surprised.

Looking forward to the new videos!
Back to top Go down
sheplovr

sheplovr

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_minipostedSat Mar 08, 2008 4:08 pm

I agree it must be done daily but not long sessions as Shepherds are NOT hard to tain and bore easily. I can teach one of mine in 5 minutes a trick like sit, shake, down, rollover, they learn it so fast I can hand signal in a week. Shepherds learn fast, short sessions of even 5 minutes not more than 15 daily going over the same command till he accomplishes it then move on later. do not mix commands till he masters one your teaching.

He will learn faster and absorb it more so if done properly and not mixed with many things. One thing at a time. Will not be long till he is teaching you.!! lol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vomschreknhaus.com
Sponsored content

Training Gideon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training Gideon   Training Gideon Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Training Gideon
Page 1 of 1