Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

adoption section under "puppy basics"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
krista

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-30

adoption section under "puppy basics" Empty
PostSubject: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 11:50 am

I'm new to this forum, and I almost didn't join. This is because when I was scrolling down the page and I got the "puppy basics" section, I saw the first topic was about buying from a breeder, but there was no topic about adopting. I volunteer with a GSD rescue, all of my dogs are rescues, and I'll always rescue, making me partial to the idea of rescuing dogs that others decided weren't good enough. I scrolled down further and saw the section about adoptions, so I was happy/relieved to see that. However, it would be nice to have an adoption topic in the puppy section. I do like that it looks like this forum advocates responsible breeding, but I think people should also be educated about all of the great puppies and adults that are available at the local shelter and/or rescue. I'd love it if there was no need for rescue groups. There are too many great GSD's (and other dogs of course) being destroyed in shelters because of irresponsible breeding and ownership, and rescues just can't help them all. So if less people bought from breeders and checked out other options for adding great dogs to their family, maybe less dogs would be killed every day....
Now I'm not trying to bash breeding (although I know it seems that way), obviously we wouldn't have such a great breed without great breeders, but until we live in a world without byb's, there will always be more GSD's being born than there are responsible GSD owners.

Also, a section listing all GSD rescues across the US by state would be nice. That way if someone is interested in adopting, fostering, or simply volunteering, they would be able to easily find out who's in their area.

Thanks for listening,
Krista
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 11:54 am

there is about adopting it has its own section
Back to top Go down
https://shepherds4ever.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 11:58 am

great idea!
Back to top Go down
https://shepherds4ever.forumotion.com
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 1:06 pm

I agree with you.

It is realy, realy sad of all these dogs being euthanised now-a-days... We have brought most of our dogs from breeders, although we think rescuing is just as good as an option, but I would never adopt a puppy from a shelter, as they go far too quickly, and the older dogs just get left behind.

And I would never even visit a kill shelter. I don't agree with them...
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Your 100% right Krista. I'm all for responsible breeding (I want to be a breeder one day), but I also highly recommend rescue/shelter. Once there was a beautiful black GSD at the shelter...looked about 8 months old. He was very friendly, but was pacing around his cage like he was bored or sad...or both. He had a toy in his mouth that he would drop every few minutes and pick up...I was that I could have gotten him Crying or Very sad...I wonder if he ever found a home...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
krista

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks for adding an adoption topic to the puppy section!
yeah, puppies do go quickly at the shelter and in rescues too. Which can be good, except a lot get returned several months later when they become "too much to handle". When I used to volunteer with an all-breed rescue, we had to create a "puppy disclaimer" that explained the different stages of puppyhood to potential adopters, trying to make sure the dog wouldn't be returned. And just today, we found out about a 3 month old GSD at a high-kill shelter that is an owner dump, how sad that they gave up on her at 3 months! Luckily she's already got a foster along with 2 other GSD's at the same shelter, but there will always be more.
GSD's especially don't do well in the shelter, they sort of seem to go stir crazy. My most recent GSD was an owner dump at a local shelter, and stayed in the shelter about 6 weeks before the rescue sprung him out. But then he got passed around the rescue a few times over the next 6 weeks before coming to me, mostly because of the lack of experience of his first foster dad. I intented to only foster him, but he really fit in well, so we adopted him! He's your typical velcro GSD, and it definitely broke his spirit to go thru such an ordeal, so now I'm trying to restore his confidence and help him become the best dog he can be. It doesn't help that he's 3, and at that age when he's trying to figure out his adult self!
I always feel more bad for the owner dumps than the strays. It seems that the strays are just happy to have shelter and food, but the dogs that had a family get really sad and confused...
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedMon Mar 31, 2008 12:31 am

Oh, thats awful... I see what you mean. To go from a warm home, to a shelter...
Back to top Go down
xOutFromUnder

xOutFromUnder

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 5:33 pm

I agree! I will never buy from a breeder!
I have always wanted a GSD (they are my favorite breed) and when I found Zero a few years ago, the fact that she was a GSD mix just made it a plus for me. However, I don't plan on getting a purebreed GSD in the future unless I find one in a shelter Smile
It is far too important to me to find a wonderful dog and save their life than just worry about getting a certain purebreed, although a GSD/or GSD mix will always be something I will search for, and there are always plenty that need homes!

I too work with an dog/cat rescue organization and we have rescued several wonderful GSDs. Consider adoption!! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rachellaurenphotography
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Many of my dogs will be rescues/pound puppies, but I'd also like to get some dogs from breeders. Mostly because I want to be a reputable breeder who supports rescue when I grow up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: adoption section under "puppy basics"   adoption section under "puppy basics" Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

adoption section under "puppy basics"
Page 1 of 1