Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:

Go down 
+7
BaileyGSD
TravisGSD
GSDManiac
zoran
Veracity
Odysseus
sheplovr
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sheplovr

sheplovr

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-02

AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Empty
PostSubject: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedSat Jan 05, 2008 1:15 pm

I know this is just an arrogant ignorance on their part, but I have noticed that alot of those so-called "beautiful" American Shepherds have very faulty cannons, pasterns, hocks, croups, stifels, God does it ever end? Not to mention that unnatural long, tall neck, sharp 45 degree topline, and that the 25 degree angle in the pastern and the resultant knuckled-over look is Allowed!

What the heck is wrong with us in America?! This arrogance to take a creature that once had stamina, and beauty, and inbreed on it untill it has almost no real pigment; is too "feminine" and wimpy looking, and has absolutely no Defense drive! Wow! I can see why other countries can despise us somtimes when I see how many back-yard breeders there are, who get into breeding because they think they have a "really good dog" (doesn't everybody?) Oh Well. Sorry. Just venting: )
Back to top Go down
http://www.vomschreknhaus.com
Odysseus

Odysseus

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedSun Jan 06, 2008 12:42 am

So I know I asked somewhere else because I am curious... but I can't remember where...

What is the difference between European and American shepherds. I know that the back is much more slanted and honestly the degree makes me kind of nervous, but what are the differences?
Back to top Go down
Veracity

Veracity

Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedSun Jan 06, 2008 1:16 am

http://www.gaardog.com/breed_types_&_standards.htm a good site to help understand the difference's.
Back to top Go down
http://veracity-kennel.tripod.com
Odysseus

Odysseus

Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedSun Jan 06, 2008 1:25 am

Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
zoran

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 12:31 pm

The American Shepherds deviate from the real Shepherds. I buy only east or west line Shepherds because I like the firm back, not butt dragging on the ground. They are a working breed and that's what I buy for, plus of course great temperaments.
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 9:04 pm

German shepherds, and working line shepherds are LOVE. I'm not at all a fan (As i've already stated) of roach-backed, show lines...
Back to top Go down
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 pm

I strongly dislike Am. line Shepherds. I hate seeing these 'hock walkers' winning year after year. One of the most popular Sheps in the Show ring today, Geneva, has terrible Conformation IMO.

I have a problem with Showline Sheps in general, as the original SV standard states that GSDs should never be bred to highlight one aspect. =/
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedThu Mar 13, 2008 5:15 pm

I was watching Crufts on TV, and the winner of the GSDs was a German line GSD, but the angle of his back... Ugh. Just as bad as the American lines.
Back to top Go down
BaileyGSD

BaileyGSD

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 12:05 am

Guess I don't have to worry about the American vs. German. My beautiful GSD is actually part lab. Very Happy

AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Bailey-2
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Ooh, yes BailyGSD... You can defenetly tell by his round ears xD

He look lovley ^^
Back to top Go down
Missy

Missy

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm

Peopl that breed American SHepherds may say they love there breed, but really if you loved a why would you ruin it like they have to the shepherds
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 5:11 pm

I agree, Missy... If they love it so much, why put it through all the hassle of the problems its going to face?
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 5:12 pm

I'm not going to be breeding GSDs, but I love the breed and I don't want to see it change. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Ignorance. People don't know the right way to do it. That's why we need to spread the word about good breeders. Some people just won't listen though. My dad, with all that I have told him about good breeders, actually thinks that my uncle is a reputable breeder. Shocked
Does a reputable breeder want to breed a GSD from a rescue group, that hasn't been health tested? Do they give any of the puppies away before 8 weeks of age? Nope. That's what my uncle did. He gave my pastor a puppy that was only 6 1/2 weeks old. India hadn't even been checked by a vet, and he was thinking of breeding her. Turns out that she was already pregnant, malnourished, and full of worms. The rescue group that he got her from was horrible. pale India's also not even 2 years old.
My uncle is a BYB.
I've tried to tell him, but he won't listen. And he's getting mad at my mom about what I tell him too. My mom says that a lot of people, especially people in my dad's family, don't like being told when they're wrong. They must be listening to me at least a little though. Because they said that the other 3 puppies would be going to their homes last weekend, just a few days short of being 8 weeks old (they'll be 8 weeks old this Wednesday). Now, according to my brother, the puppies haven't left yet.

Last edited by Cookie TN on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 5:21 pm

My dad doesn't believe everything that I tell him about reputable breeders and what every breeder should do. He says that you have to allow for differences in opinion. That's right, but not when the "differences in opinion" end up hurting a creature. Communism is a "difference in opinion", but it killed many people. Some people are impossible to argue with...
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 5:28 pm

I recently went to my first live dog show and actually had to walk away once I saw what they had done to our beloved GSDs. If I saw a dog that moved like that in a rescue I would think it had been injured or that there was something structurally wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Shocked pale affraid Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 5:38 pm

Ugh, yeah Dutch... Its positivley disgusting. Whoever is the breeder needs a good slap in the face, IMO

I thnk there is somthing structualy wrong with them... Its so unatural the way their bums practicly drag on the floor, and their hocks bashing together... Ugh
Back to top Go down
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedFri Apr 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Because of the sloped back, American lines are more prone to hip displasia.
Comformation is nothing but a beauty pagent. I think the true value of GSDs are their ability to work - as they were bred to do.
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedFri Apr 18, 2008 3:34 pm

I agree... I wish I could do herding with my dogs.

Although, about conformation - It can be fun. I don't enter it for the 'beauty' I enter it for the experience and hopefully the option to breed. I hate the fact that these dogs with either sloped or roach backs seem to win all the time. It'd be nice to see some more working lines getting 1st place.
Back to top Go down
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_minipostedTue Apr 22, 2008 9:08 am

Yeah any activity that invloves dogs are fun!

I actually like UKC white shepherd shows - their breed standard is slightly different from the GSDs. All the winners I have seen have very little slopes. I also know the judges concentrate heavily on temperament and movement (smooth, flowing and ease)

That probably explains why the most champion titled white shepherds are often accomplished themselves in other areas (i.e. therapy, agility, herding, flyball...). Beauty is just an icing on the cake!!!
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:   AMERICAN SHEPHERDS: Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

AMERICAN SHEPHERDS:
Page 1 of 1