Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How I Taught Cookie to Catch Frisbees

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

How I Taught Cookie to Catch Frisbees Empty
PostSubject: How I Taught Cookie to Catch Frisbees   How I Taught Cookie to Catch Frisbees Icon_minipostedFri Aug 29, 2008 3:51 pm

Alas, I've lost most of my old digital pictures (from late 2006 and early 2007), including the ones of Cookie first learning to catch Frisbees, so I won't be able to use any old pictures as examples. (There are some on my dad's computer, but I can't get to it right now.)
I first tried to teach Cookie to catch Frisbees when she was about 5 years old. She was afraid of the Frisbee back then, so I gave up. I tried again when she was 8, and thought that she'd never get it. I tried to get her to grab it out of my hands as a start. She just stared at it and/or pawed at it (I'd taught her several tricks that involved pawing things). I almost gave up and thought maybe I could teach her to hit it with her paws if I threw it since nothing else would work. Laughing
But, a little light bulb turned on in my head and I came up with an idea! Idea Cookie is VERY food-motivated, so why no put food on the edge of the Frisbee? The only food that I could think of was cheese (I wasn't allowed to use peanut butter or cream cheese), so my mom made me buy my own pack of cheese to use. Arrow I squished cheese onto the end of the Frisbee and held it in front of Cookie saying "get it". She did of course, and I praised and rewarded her. bounce She wouldn't CATCH our plastic Frisbee, so I asked my mom to buy her a soft one. I eventually started tossing them to her from inches away. I built up to a foot, two feet, etc.
That is how Cookie learned to catch a Frisbee, soft or plastic. She'll also catch just about anything else you toss to her too.
Photobucket
I was able to make this video in May 2007:

I made several mistakes in the training, and should have research more on Frisbee training than I did. I'm just posting this so that anyone who wants to teach their dog to catch a Frisbee may get a couple of tips from my teaching Cookie.
Now, my other dog is another story. He'll catch a Frisbee in the air sometimes when we're playing, but most of the time he just wants to tug-a-war with it.
Photobucket
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115

How I Taught Cookie to Catch Frisbees
Page 1 of 1