Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?

Go down 
+3
GSDManiac
missyntc
Questdriven
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Empty
PostSubject: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm asking because my grandma, who used to take care of Cookie, keeps complaining that she can feel Cookie's spine. She was complaining about that when Cookie started losing weight (she was overweight and on a diet) though...
Here's the most recent picture of her that may be helpful:
Photobucket
I can't feel her ribs that easily, but I can feel them, so I think that maybe it's her weight that is pulling on the skin around the spine, making it easier to feel.
I think she still needs to lose a couple of pounds, but my grandma thinks she is underweight. Exclamation What do you think? scratch
Photobucket
Cookie used to be in the high 90's, then low 90's, and when last weighed around March she was 87 pounds. She's been overweight most of her life, because my grandma free-fed her and refilled EVERY time her dish was low, so Cookie got used to gluttony.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 12:58 pm

I don't think she is underweight - you should be able to see all her ribs from the side if she was underweight - I couldn't see any ribs in the picture.... Do you have a picture of her back from the above? You should be able to see her waist defined but not too much. If it's too defined then she might be a little underweight.

Snowy is considered a little underweight in the show ring. She needs her chest filled out some more.
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Back to top Go down
missyntc

missyntc

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 1:49 pm

No she doesn't look underweight at all in the picture on the link. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 8:24 pm

She doesn't seem underweight to me at all Smile
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 11:01 am

In my opinion also, she does not seem underweight, if anything, she could lose a bit more.
Back to top Go down
AnimalMommy

AnimalMommy

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 3:20 pm

Doesn't look underweight to me.
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 4:00 pm

Now my dad thinks that Cookie is underweight and wants me to feed her more. Crying or Very sad He says that he thinks so because she's hungry all the time. She is because she used to be able to eat any time of the day for most of her life before I got to take care of her.
I'd been feeding her just a bit more for about a week anyway, and she's been getting more exercise lately too. I fill her dish about halfway full.
He says that he wants her to have a little more weight on her just in case she ever gets really sick and doesn't eat so that he body will have something to use. I tried to tell him that more weight would also make it harder on her joints, but he just seems to think that I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm the one who does the most research on dogs in my house. My dad does very little research on dogs, if any.
He's also just going by the back bone, which as I mentioned is very easy to feel. But the ribs aren't very easy to feel and as you can see she has a nice hour-glass shape when looked up from above. I told him that I think that she needs to lose a couple of pounds.
Now, if any dog is underweight in my house, it'd be my other dog. He's not underweight according to the vet, but he's skinnier than Cookie. When I told my dad that, he just said that it's easier on younger dogs.
I'm sorry to say this, but I think my dad is impossible to reason with sometimes...
Back to top Go down
missyntc

missyntc

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 7:04 am

I am sorry you have to deal with that.
If he doesn't listen to you, would he listen to the vet? Maybe have your vet talk to him, cause Cookie doesn't look underweight at all.

If he still insist feeding Cookie more maybe you can switch her to low-cal food for senior dogs - that way you can feed her more without adding up more calories. Just like you said, Cookie is older and too much weight could be really hard on her joints.

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedTue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 pm

I think that Cookie is the right weight now (before I think that she still needed to lose a couple of pounds). I can feel her ribs, but not too prominent and she has a noticeable tummy tuck-in.
My dad seems to have forgotten about making me feed Cookie more, but I had better take care not to bring it up around him lest he remembers.
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedMon Sep 08, 2008 12:44 am

Great...now my grandma thinks that Cookie is malnourished. Evil or Very Mad I don't mean to sound disrespectful, it's just so frustrating... Mad
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedMon Sep 15, 2008 11:01 pm

I'd say just listen respectfully, nod your head, and then feed Cookie like you know you ought to feed her and hope for the best. No point arguing, and Cookie looks great in the pics.

My Italian greyhounds all have ribs showing just a teeny little bit, which is normal, but sometimes other people think they're too thin. When I leave them with our wonderful pet sitter, she gives them more food than I do and then I have to put them on a slight diet when I return home after a trip - they're always noticeably fatter.

Fortunately for me and my dogs, however, I don't live with my pet sitter, so I can control the situation and ensure they don't put on weight and begin to look fat and clumsy. It's so hard for dogs who are lumbering about with too much weight, but ... a lot of people feed themselves too much food and think they aren't "loving" their animals unless they over feed them, as well.

Not to worry ... just be polite and do what you have to do. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_minipostedSat Oct 04, 2008 11:37 pm

Honestly, I think she is overweight. I think she could stand to lose a few pounds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?   Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Do you thoink Cookie is...underweight?
Page 1 of 1