Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Empty
PostSubject: Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!   Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 10:01 am

Over the weekend, Snowy and I traveled to Ontario, Canada.

She had an opportunity to get HIC tested with ducks and she passed!

Here is a picture of her!

Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Hic_du10

She had a blast!!!
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!   Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 12:02 pm

I've seen Collies herd ducks, but I didn't know GSDs could.
Looks like she had fun! I've heard that the dog has to have a gentle touch to herd ducks, is that true?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
missyntc

missyntc

PostSubject: Re: Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!   Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Icon_minipostedMon Aug 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Yes unlike sheep/cattle you can't be rough with ducks cause they are more fragile. If a dog is too agressive and herd too close, ducks get all stressed out and panting. Obviously you don't want that. The dog has to give ducks enough room, at the same time you have to keep them together. When they are spooked they would spread out - making it difficult to keep eye on them.

Also If you own a smaller herding breed, sheep/cattles sometimes don't respect them and try to intimidate the dog by charging and head-butting. I talked to a lady whose Corgi did not pass the HIC with sheep for that reason. She passed with Ducks yesterday becasue ducks were far less intimidating for her. So it would be a good way to introduce herding too.

When Snowy attended Sheep Herding Clinic she was only 5 months old so she could not get a certification (has to be at least 6 months), but she did great - even though she was only 33 lbs puppy she instinctively knew to keep the herd together and sheep respected her. I will be testing her for HIC with sheep next month in Fowlerville, MI.
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!   Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 11:09 am

Go Snowy Go!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!   Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Icon_minipostedTue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 pm

The concept of herding ducks is a new one to me, but my sweet pupper wasn't trained to herd, so I'm obviously not well informed. What an interesting idea, though. I love the photo of Snowy and the ducks! :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
missyntc

missyntc

PostSubject: Re: Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!   Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Icon_minipostedWed Aug 06, 2008 6:53 am

Yeah I had to go to Ontario, Canda to do it. I guess the main stream herding is cattle/sheep in the US. Luckily Ontario was only 1 hour drive for me.

At Snowy's age she is so curious and this exposure to ducks are so much fun for her. Seeing her having so much fun was a treat for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!   Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Snowy passed the Herding Instinct certification with Ducks!
Page 1 of 1