Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dog Park Safety Tip

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Dog Park Safety Tip Empty
PostSubject: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_minipostedMon Jul 21, 2008 10:01 am

I found this article on the web. I thought you might be interested....

Today, dog parks are as common as playgrounds. In fact, some people say that dogs are the new "kids," but it’s important to remember that dogs are very different than your average preschoolers. If you take your dog to the dog park, follow these safety tips:
• Before taking your dog to the park, visit it alone. Have a look at the park’s posted rules. Ask other dog owners about the vibe at the park—are the other dogs friendly? Are they mostly big or small dogs?
• Make sure that your dog is socialized to other dogs. Some dogs are afraid of or aggressive toward other dogs. If you have an anti-social pup, consult a behaviorist or trainer to help you socialize him before you become a regular at the dog park.
• When you first take your dog to the dog run, try to go during an off-peak hour. It can be very crowded after work or on weekends and your dog may be intimidated by all of the activity. Make sure his first experience at the park is fun!
• Be certain that your dog’s vaccinations are up to date before taking him to the park.
• Never take a female in heat to the park. Some parks have rules against intact males.
• Remove your dog’s leash as soon as you enter the park. Leash aggression is common when one dog is on a leash and the others aren’t.
• Keep a flat or rolled nylon or leather collar on your dog at all times. Remove a choke or prong collar if you use one.
• If you bring toys to the dog park, prepare to share them with other dogs. If your dog is not good at sharing, leave his beloved toys at home.
• If you bring treats, make sure they are secure in a pouch or pocket. Other dogs will hound you for a treat—ask their owners before you indulge them.
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_minipostedMon Jul 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Another great article!
Unfortunately, Cookie isn't ready to go to a dog park yet, even if we had one close by. She's usually fine on a leash, but I'm not yet sure if she could "be good" around other dogs off leash. She would most likely be fine unless another dog was aggrivating her. I'm working with her. I wish that my family had been the one to buy her from her breeder instead of that other family, because (1) we think they abused her and (2) they kept her OUTSIDE Evil or Very Mad with another dog was mean to her (he probably wasn't soclialized with other dogs). If my family had gotten her first we wouldn't have all the problems we're having with Cookie now.
Okay, they little vent over. cyclops

I personally would avoid a park that didn't allow intact males. Intact males are just as trainable and able to behave as neutered males. So long as the owner was responsible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
missyntc

missyntc

PostSubject: Re: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 2:19 pm

I personally feel a little weary of going to dog parks myself.

I can trust Sasha to behave - She is off-leash trained and I can recall her even if she is chasing wild animals or a ball. She also knows to ignore or stay away from agressive dogs. but I can't say the same about the other dogs at the park. I have heard so many horror stories about dogs being attacked by aggresive dogs or contracting illness at dog parks.

For Snowy she is still in training and she hasn't mastered recall yet. She is also a little shy toward small dogs (She is fine with large dogs. go figure) To get her socialized more, I take her to Doggie Day Camps a couple of times a month. What I like about it is alll dogs that attend the camp is evaluated for their temperament and no agressive dogs are allowed. Also they check the shot records, so less chances of contracting diseases. Snowy was terrified at first but now she enjoys attending the day camp. She has nearly outgrown her fear of small doggies too.
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_minipostedTue Jul 22, 2008 9:41 pm

I dunno about dog parks these days. I thought it was a cool way to socialize my dogs, and it probably works most of the time. My Cruiser-Bruiser, however, wasn't interested in the other dogs so much as he was finding someone (anyone) to throw a ball for him. The Iggies stick together and are somewhat afraid because there are usually only BIG dogs, more than one have demonstrated a prey instinct with the little dogs (NOT good). Then ... about 6 wks ago, two of our dogs managed to contract ghiardia, which was less than amusing. We may stick to walks and "play dates" in the back yard with furiends we know for awhile. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_minipostedWed Jul 23, 2008 12:50 pm

I have never been to a dog park, and frankly, I don't think that I ever want to. My dogs are social enough, and get enough exercise!
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_minipostedFri Jul 25, 2008 11:13 pm

You're clearly smarter than we were. I won't SWEAR 100% I'll never go to the dog park again, 'cos we have some friends who live on the west side of town up close to the mountains who we sometimes meet at "their" dog park, which seems to have a totally different "feel" to it and the users all take at least one turn around the park to clean up after ANYBODY's dog. Too bad it isn't the one closest to our house, but there it is ... it isn't. I've just been disappointed and it was a lot less amusing than I anticipated, and ending up with poopy dogs was icky and expensive - of course, they only get sick late on a Saturday night when you have to go to the emergency room. Rolling Eyes

Speaking of walking, however ... it's finally cooling off outside so I'd best get out there with Cruiser or it will be too late to walk. Or it will already be tomorrow! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
missyntc

missyntc

PostSubject: Re: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_minipostedTue Jul 29, 2008 7:42 am

Patti,

I am just curious, what did your vet prescribed for the treatment of Giardia?

When Snowy got Giardia at Herding Clinic, my vet prescribed Panacur for 10days, but it didn't work, so she prescribed Panacur for 10 more days. Still didn't get rid of it. When I told her this, she wanted to put her on Panacur for 20 more days! I was getting a little upset. Obviously Panacur wasn't working. Why do we waste anymore time/money on Panacur? (I read an article that Panacur is only 80% effective in the treatment of Giardia)

When I mentioned this to Sasha's agility trainer (and reputable GSD breeder), she told me to order Fragyl (Metronidazole). Normally metronidazole for dogs require vet's prescription, but you can buy the same product for fish without prescription at various places like KVVET.com, thepetplace.com etc. (It is called Fish-Zole). At the time Snowy was 50 lbs, so she told me to give her 500 mg for 10 days.

After 6th or 7th day I began to notice her poop becoming normal and by the 10th day she was fine.

2 failed Panacur treatments/vet visits cost over $200 and a bottle of Fish-Zole was about $25.

--needless to say I am looking for a new vet. Mad

Missy
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_minipostedTue Jul 29, 2008 1:07 pm

I am really glad to know about Fish-Zole! Hopefully, though will never need it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog Park Safety Tip   Dog Park Safety Tip Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Dog Park Safety Tip
Page 1 of 1