Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Never heard about slop or non-slope

Go down 
+3
TravisGSD
GSDManiac
Questdriven
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Never heard about slop or non-slope Empty
PostSubject: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 8:45 pm

But, you mean that the back slopes, right? I know that they do that in the dog shows. My GSD doesn't have a slope. See:
https://2img.net/h/i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh95/graydawntreader/100_2376.jpg
My dad thinks that if it wasn't for her color she'd look more like a Collie.Laughing

So what follows the standard more? Slope or non-slope?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 8:00 am

None of my dogs have sloping backs or realy low hocks. I personaly not a fan of it... I much prefer working line. Most of the GSDs I see everyday don't have slopes anyway... I think its because of the different lineages from different countries.
Back to top Go down
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 2:17 pm

The Standard does not call for that severe rear angulation, yet severely angulated dogs continue to win in the show ring in the US. I really don't like seeing dogs practically walking on their hocks. =/ I much prefer the Working Line dogs structure.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Gideon does not have that much of a slope either! but idk, were is shep when you need her!
Back to top Go down
https://shepherds4ever.forumotion.com
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 5:03 pm

I think that the dogs with a slope are beautiful, but then so are all GSDs. I don't see how a dog with a slope would be any good at herding though. Neutral
If it's not in the standard for a sloping back, why do they breed them that way?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 pm

Great websites:

http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/02_The_Forehand/The_Forehand.html
http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/05_The_Hindquarters/The_Hindquarters.html
http://kerschberger.com/GSDbreedstandard.htm

Quote :
The top line extends from the point where the neck meets the skull past the well developed withers and the gently downward sloping back to the slightly sloping croup without a visible break. The back is firm, strong, and well muscled. The loin is broad, well developed, and strongly muscled. The croup should be long and have a slight downward slope (approximately 23 degrees from horizontal) and should merge smoothly into the tail s
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 5:29 pm

"The croup should be long and have a slight downward slope"

Like the one on my signature?
Cookie doesn't have a slope at all. In fact, her rear is a little higher than her front.
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Thanks for the sites ^^

xD But you havn't stacked her correctly, there. Maybie its because of the way Cookie stands that makes her back end be higher?

But... I don't like the realy slopey slope ones. If its just slightly... I guess i'm ok with it. But... Eh. I don't think much about most of the GSDs entered in shows anymore x)
Back to top Go down
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 pm

Showlines breed for Appearance rather than Function.

Right in the original GSD Standard [the SV's standard] it says that the GSD should never be bred to highlight one aspect. Funny how that worked out. Very few breeders actually adhere to the original standard.

I think it all comes down to preference. Somewhere along the line someone discovered that they like the severe angulation and then started to breed for that. I have no idea why it is so popular in the American Show ring, but it is. =/
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedThu Mar 13, 2008 12:14 pm

Cookie isn't show quality anyways. Cookie's rear is always higher than her front.
We got her from someone who got her from a breeder. I don't think much of Cookie's breeder, from what I have heard about this "breeder". She had sold Cookie to someone who wanted to breed her, and this person kept Cookie in the backyard with an aggressive dog. They didn't do anything but sell Cookie when they saw that that dog wouldn't let her eat either. We got her cheap, $50. I'm glad that she isn't with that other person anymore, though. She deserved much better than that.
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedThu Mar 13, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm glad you took her in then. People can be very idiotic, and money-hungry, can't they?
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedFri Mar 14, 2008 7:18 am

I know, on the Answers section on Dogster you won't believe how many people ask questions about breeding their dog. Those questions get a lot of answers, including one from me.

Those people who had owned Cookie before, we think that they abused her too, she used to be so afraid of men that she left a puddle whenever she saw one.
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedFri Mar 14, 2008 8:45 am

Oh, thats realy sad =(
Back to top Go down
dustygal

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 2:59 am

TravisGSD wrote:
Showlines breed for Appearance rather than Function.

Right in the original GSD Standard [the SV's standard] it says that the GSD should never be bred to highlight one aspect. Funny how that worked out. Very few breeders actually adhere to the original standard.

I think it all comes down to preference. Somewhere along the line someone discovered that they like the severe angulation and then started to breed for that. I have no idea why it is so popular in the American Show ring, but it is. =/

VERY good points TravisGSD. i am a breeder (new i must say my first year) and i've had both the sloping and the straight backs and i have to say i prefer the straight backs. i'm not keen on a dog that looks like you're about to pitch a tent with it rather then work it. I have to say i dont condemn the showlines only the focus of some showing breeders. I personally think if the dog is working show line or workingline it's closer a GSD then just looking at apperance.

It saddens me severly to see that the true GSD nature is disappearing more and more.. this is what some of my breeding goals were ... to pick dogs that work, that suit and fit the standard

My dusty is a straight back and a solid working line girl but i've had showlines too who have been straight backs.

i just think it depends on personal preference but i cannot see how the elongated/sloping back can work or run for a long period of time.. my dusty is always on the go and never gets tired.. i think too many wrong ppl and influences are ruining the breed. Breeders have become competative for winings rather then better dogs.

Very sad when it's come to this
Back to top Go down
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Well I'll take that as a compliment ;] Having a breeder tell me I made good points. :] lol.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 2:37 pm

hahha Ashley
Back to top Go down
ladysable

ladysable

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 4:12 pm

It is my understanding that the sloped back is in reference to the true "German" Shepherd (from the working lines). Those that have the straight backs are normally the "American" German Shepherds.

My preference is the straight back GSD. Of course, my dogs are not for showing or breeding, they are simply my pets, friends and lifelong companions.
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 4:19 pm

I though it was the other way around, sloped backed being the 'American' and Straight backed being the 'German'

I favour the straight backed, myself, too. All of mine have straght backs.
Back to top Go down
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 5:16 pm

The dogs with the severe rear angulation are the American Showlines.

Working lines are the ones that are closer to the original standard in that they do not have that severe rear angulation. [or slope as some call it ]
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 10:25 pm

We notice in the big dog shows that the more sloping back dogs are the ones that win. They are absolutely gorgeous dogs, and they look like they are crouching all the time. Cruiser is clearly not show dog quality ... just a wonderful, smart, loving companion. My GDB friends who have raised & trained GSD for GDB (GDB had decided not to train GSD puppies anymore, though, 'cos so many of them have failed for various reasons, particularly physical problems.), say the dogs with the straighter backs have a lot less incidence of rear-end issues and they think the sloping backs "encourage" rear-end problems. I don't know ... I'm just glad my straight-backed, non-show dog Cruiser-boy continues not to have any problems at all. He's so big I can't imagine how on earth I'd deal with it if it became severe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Never heard about slop or non-slope   Never heard about slop or non-slope Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Never heard about slop or non-slope
Page 1 of 1