Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any advise...

Go down 
+3
rexandbaby
Heather
Zoey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Zoey

Zoey

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 12:51 pm

From what I've seen in this forum so far there seem to be some very knowledgeable GSD owners so I am hoping that someone can help me with this....

I'm having a little (disgusting) problem with Zoey. After 8 years Zoey has decided that she likes to raid the cat's litter box. I know, it's a disgusting thought, but from what I've been told dogs love it. We recently moved from a house that had a basement with a cat door (where the box was always kept) to a ranch house with no basement. Unfortunately, there is no place in the new house to put the litter box that Zoey wouldn't be able to get to. I bought a new litter box with a hood on it thinking that would help but it doesn't. She just sticks her big, pretty head right in there and helps herself. I also clean the box every morning. She never does it while I'm at home to catch her in the actual act...she just leaves the proof on the floor and her breath silent I would really appreciate any advise you could give me short of getting rid of the cat Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather

Heather

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 pm

The only thing I can think of is either placing the litter box and cat in a room and closing the door so that Zoey cannot get in there when you are not able to supervise or crating Zoey!
Back to top Go down
http://germanshepherd.forumup.com
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 6:14 pm

Try giving the cat pumkin.
Back to top Go down
sheplovr

sheplovr

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedSun Feb 10, 2008 11:47 am

Oh Gosh dogs love pumpkin I give it to them unspiced for loose bowels or upset tummys.
I would place the box in a basement with a gait up so the dog cannot get down there or in a mud room, some place u can put up a gait so the dog cannot jump over it.

Cat food is bad for dogs or poo. It is too high in protein and could make the dog ill also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vomschreknhaus.com
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedSun Feb 10, 2008 12:36 pm

And as with happened with my daughter, her cat was sick, on meds, and then her dog ate the poo, so now the dog is sick. It can happen that easily!! Suspect
Back to top Go down
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

Registration date : 2008-03-07

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Does Zoey know the 'leave it' command?

Is this only happening when you are not home? As in she NEVER even attempts to go near it when you are home?
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 7:27 pm

Good question, but the leave it command, only works, if you are there to make sure it works.
Back to top Go down
TravisGSD

TravisGSD

Registration date : 2008-03-07

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 7:31 pm

Yeah, that's why I asked if this only happens when she isn't around.

If it happens at all while you are at home you can still use the 'leave it' command to instill in her mind that this is off limits. But first, you need to catch her in the act. Punishing or correcting her after the fact won't do any good.
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedFri Mar 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Punishing after the fact, never works! What a Face
Back to top Go down
zoran

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 11:59 am

You have to find a way to stop the dog from eating the cat poop.As mentioned, put a gate that the cat can go over but not the dog. Our vet warned my daughter about the diseases cat poop harbors, from parasites to toccidiosis, etc. The next door cat used our daughter's yard for a bathroom and her dog ate the poop and was terribly sick and on expensicve meds.
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 12:08 pm

Cookie used to do that when I had my cat Tinker Bell. I scolded her every time I saw her do it, and she quit doing it altogether. (Except once when Tink got poo stuck to her bottom. Embarassed Cookie was following her around trying to lick her bottom. Embarassed )
It sounds like what I used won't work with you though. The others know a lot more than I do, and I'd go with their advice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
Sponsored content

Any advise... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any advise...   Any advise... Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Any advise...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shepherds4Ever :: Shepherd Talk :: General Shepherd-
Jump to: