Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GSD Health ISSUES:

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sheplovr

sheplovr

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-02

GSD Health ISSUES: Empty
PostSubject: GSD Health ISSUES:   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_minipostedWed Jan 09, 2008 7:29 pm

German Shepherd

Intelligent, responsive and bright, German shepherds are a delight to train. As long as they are well bred and socialized early, they can be some of the most easy-going, friendly and playful dogs. German shepherds are also loyal and highly protective of their owners and property; if threatened, they will not retreat.

Breed-related concerns
Every dog breed carries a distinct set of genetic advantages and health risk factors. The following are the most common diseases found in the German shepherd breed. Hopefully, your German shepherd will not face these problems. However, early detection and preventive healthcare can make all the difference in helping your dog live a longer, happier life (see breed-related disease descriptions below).

Puppy (birth to 1 year)
Developmental bone/joint disease

Fear-induced aggression

Adult (1 to 6 years)
Chronic diarrhea
Pannus
Perianal fistula
Pyoderma

Senior (7 years and older)
Hemangiosarcoma
Hind limb weakness

Breed-related disease descriptions
Listed in alphabetical order
Chronic diarrhea. Loose stool that has persisted for more than two to three weeks. May be accompanied by vomiting and weight loss. Causes include ingestion of toxins, intestinal parasites, intestinal infections, digestive enzyme deficiency, food allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, hormonal abnormalities, liver or kidney disease and intestinal cancer.

Developmental bone/joint disease. Affects predominantly young, large-breed dogs. Dogs may show no signs or may show pain, lameness, and reluctance to exercise. With hip dysplasia, there may be muscle wasting in the hind legs.

Fear-induced aggression. A pet that growls and snaps when afraid thinks he is fighting for his life. Because of a combination of genetic tendencies, early experience, and sometimes abuse, the dog that cannot escape will attack. During the growling, snapping or attack, the dog shows fear postures such as crouching with his tail between his legs.

Hemangiosarcoma. Cancer of the cells lining the inside of blood vessels. Affects mainly the skin, heart, liver and spleen. Symptoms include weakness, a distended abdomen, sudden collapse and pale gums.

Hind limb weakness. Weakness and sometimes a lack of coordination or wobbliness affecting the rear limbs. Causes include slipped disc, degeneration of the bones of the spine and degeneration of the spinal cord.

Hypothyroidism. Insufficient thyroid hormone production caused by disease of the thyroid glands. Symptoms include hair loss, obesity, lethargy, cold intolerance and skin infections.

Pannus. Inflammation and discoloration of the cornea (window of the eye). Signs include pink to black growths over the front of the eye, squinting, excessive tearing or eye discharge, eye redness, rubbing or pawing at the eyes and impaired vision.

Perianal fistula. Abscesses and ulcers that form around the anus. Signs may include frequent licking around the anus, pain on defecation, straining excessively to defecate, blood in the stool and a foul-smelling discharge coming from sores around the anus.

Pyoderma. Recurring bacterial infection of the skin, often with the presence of pus. The underlying cause is thought to be an immune system deficiency. Signs include scratching, skin redness, pimples, sores, scabs and areas of hair loss. The skin may be painful and some pets may be lethargic and lose their appetites.

Help your dog live a longer, healthier life. Ask your veterinarian about a
breed-related preventive health plan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vomschreknhaus.com
Odysseus

Odysseus

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: GSD Health ISSUES:   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_minipostedWed Jan 09, 2008 8:18 pm

That is a great list!! Thanks for the terrific information!
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: GSD Health ISSUES:   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_minipostedWed Jan 09, 2008 8:53 pm

I will have to print that out, this should be a sticky!
Back to top Go down
sheplovr

sheplovr

PostSubject: Re: GSD Health ISSUES:   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_minipostedWed Jan 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Yes, found it a great thing to post here for all of you. Hope it helps and yes do print it out, it is free honey...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: GSD Health ISSUES:   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_minipostedWed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Awesme info Shep, thanks ever so much!
Back to top Go down
https://shepherds4ever.forumotion.com
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Arthritis question   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_minipostedThu Jan 10, 2008 10:21 pm

Is there some supplement or other preventive action one might take to forestall the possible onset of arthritis? My "baby" was thoroughly screened by GDB before advanced training and then again before his two placements, and there was no hint of arthritis, so I'm feeling relatively okay about that. BUT ... if there's something in particular I might be doing that would help prevent this ... or minimize it ... I'd be interested in knowing. Anyone got any thoughts? Question
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
sheplovr

sheplovr

PostSubject: Re: GSD Health ISSUES:   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_minipostedFri Jan 11, 2008 11:57 am

I use Joint Health from springtimeinc.com, also I use Bug Off Garlic for no fleas n tick. The joint health is a great product. U can call a tole free number for a catalog or order online. It gives testimonials from honest customers.
I also use Longeity for skin and coats. Great all natural products measured out according to dogs weight, like a wafer type and they eat it readily. Hope this helps as it is all I use in tubs of 1,000 as I have many shepherds u can order small jars. Think you will love it...
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: GSD Health ISSUES:   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_minipostedFri Jan 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Thanks so much for the info - really appreciate info from a long-time expert in the field as there are so many products on the market and so much hype that it can be very difficult to figure out what one really needs.

Cheers ... Patti B.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GSD Health ISSUES:   GSD Health ISSUES: Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

GSD Health ISSUES:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shepherds4Ever :: Shepherd Talk :: Your Shepherds Health-
Jump to: