Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

bites vs. head-butt?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

bites vs. head-butt? Empty
PostSubject: bites vs. head-butt?   bites vs. head-butt? Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 11:04 am

I heard that in some parts of Canada, they were considering a change to their K9 procedures - instead of training them to bite, they would train them to head-butt the suspect with their muzzles. Dogs would wear a special muzzle with metal reinforced tip to protect them from injury. They thought it would be more "humane" than biting.

Well, I didn't think it would be effective - until this past weekend.

I was bending down and petting Snowy and Sasha was in front of me facing away. My daughter threw a Frisbee for Sasha to catch it. When Sasha turned around quickly, her face collided with mine.

The impact sent me flying and I ended up on my butt, dazed (I swore I saw bright orange stars). The pain was so excruciating that I had to go lie down and applied some ice. It's been several days but my face above the left eye is still quite painful to touch.

Sasha is only 58 lb (probably small for GSD standards) and she wasn't even running. If a fully trained K-9 (probably 100+ lbs) head-butt me full-force with a metal-reinforced muzzle, my retina probably would be detached from my scull. (and no doubt suffered a facial fracture)

I can't tell you if it's more "humane" - but I can certainly vouch for it's effectiveness! (I was quite "incapacitated")
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: bites vs. head-butt?   bites vs. head-butt? Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 11:21 am

They certainly have hard skulls, don't they? Cruiser got me unexpectedly a couple of years ago ... he suddenly decided to do his head-shake "kill" maneuver with one of his stuffed toys and I happened to be right next to him, bent over picking something up. WHANG! He caught me on the jaw (thank goodness I had my mouth shut) and knocked me totally flat, where I lay very still for a couple of minutes deciding if everything was still connected and all my teeth were still firm in my mouth and my jaw was not dislocated. Ouch!

I agree ... I'm not sure it's more "humane," but it would probably work very effectively. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: bites vs. head-butt?   bites vs. head-butt? Icon_minipostedTue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bites vs. head-butt?   bites vs. head-butt? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

bites vs. head-butt?
Page 1 of 1