Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sensitive Tummy

Go down 
+2
Admin
Odysseus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Odysseus

Odysseus

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedFri Jan 04, 2008 5:42 pm

How many of you have a pup with a sensitive stomach. My little Odie...poor thing... has a very sensitive stomach.
His food took a while to find because he was allergic to barley. I have him on Royal Canin German Shepherd and he has done excellent on it. Only problem is he still vomits one or two times a month and I would love to end this. Any ideas??
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-01-01

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedFri Jan 04, 2008 5:44 pm

Back to top Go down
https://shepherds4ever.forumotion.com
Odysseus

Odysseus

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedFri Jan 04, 2008 5:49 pm

He does well on the chicken and rice...boiled diet but that is not complete.

His food doesn't really seem to be the issue since the vomiting reduced so drastically when he was finally out of the puppy stage and I could begin feeding it to him.

His vomiting tends to happen first thing in the morning while his tummy is empty. I break his feedings up but sometimes it still happens and usually there is no food or treat in it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-01-01

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedFri Jan 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Hmm, so like when he gets an empty stomach he vomits?

Well you could get a food despencer, that like during the night he can get up and get a little bitty snack?

look here:

(buys guide)

http://www.petproductadvisor.com/buyers-guide/automatic-food-dispenser-how-to-select-the-best-automatic-food-dispenser/45/page1.aspx
Back to top Go down
https://shepherds4ever.forumotion.com
Odysseus

Odysseus

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedFri Jan 04, 2008 6:17 pm

He technically has access to his limit of food a day all night too. Sometimes there was even food left in his dish when this happens. I have done everything I can come up with and am glad it dropped from multiple times a week to a time or two a month but I would love to eliminate it entirely.
I have discussed it with my vet but all they say is to put him on a bland diet for a week and see if it clears or give me medicine to settle his tummy temporarily. I am looking for a long term solution if there is one.
But thanks for the idea Amanda!
Back to top Go down
Missy

Missy

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedFri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 pm

Madison has a sensitive stomach and sensitive skin, many dogs that i know eat ground beek cooked mixed with rice with egg and yogurt mixed in, even adding supplements to the food, im sorry he is having tummy trouble, Madison used to get sick in the morning when her stomach was emtpy, i started giving her a Tums before bed to help with the acid as that seemed to be causing the probelm and it cleared up.
Sorry to say but none of us are vets or nutritionists here , we can only share our experiences and give you advice based on that, if this really becomes a problem i would see a diffrent vet that knows more about your dogs nutritional needs because your current vets advice doesn't seem to be working.
Good luck and keep us posted on his tummy troubles
Back to top Go down
sheplovr

sheplovr

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedTue Jan 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Have you tried giving him a tbsp of unspiced pumpkin canned. I had to give my puppy I have for sale some as she got the runs after I micro chipped her.

Think it might of been case of nerves or just timing was right, gave it one morning, by late afternoon feeding she was almost to normal. This is a good thing, dogs love it and also honey is a great heart tonic and good for many things.

As well as Apple Cider Vinegar, great for birds, horses, dogs, cats and humans. I use it in spray bottle half water, half ACV and it makes for a gorgeous coat, only stinks for a minute, if they do not lick it off. I try to rub it into the coat. Can be used for a daily tonic of tbsp in water or food. Keeps fleas n ticks off also.

Try the canned pumpkin, it is great for digestion, bowels, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vomschreknhaus.com
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedTue Jan 08, 2008 12:07 pm

I didn't know about Apple Cider vinegar! I am going to mix up a batch today! Thanks for the tip! Wink
Back to top Go down
Odysseus

Odysseus

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedTue Jan 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Thanks... if the problem was more regular I would have greater concern. I would say he does fine on a bland diet; the primary recommendation of the vet but there so many weeks he does perfectly fine when he is not on it.
When he was little it was bad. It took me forever (2 months) to find out he was allergic to barley. The whole time changing food gradually him doing fine then having problems...changing food... you get the point.

I just was looking for advice like the pumpkin or the tums to try and see if it fixes the little remaining nausea. I am happy to report he hasn't thrown up in over a month. So maybe this last time he just ate a piece of a stick or something that set his tummy off. Believe me if it ever becomes more frequent I am at the vet. I watch him pretty carefully. I was just told that the sensitive tummy was common in gsd's and was wondering any home remedies or help that maybe available! Thanks so much all of you!

That Apple cider vinegar sounds great too... I will have to try it!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
AlfieBob

AlfieBob

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_minipostedThu Apr 10, 2008 9:47 am

Hiya

Alfie has a really sensitive belly too and all he can tolerate is James Wellbeloved Ocean Fish and Rice. Anything else (including treats) that isn't fish and he has a really dodgy tum! Dentasticks are about the only other thing that don't upset his belly! He is like a walking dustbin and drop anything, its eaten in a flash but we really have to be careful.

I changed his food only for the reason that it was a bit cheaper - I got a new make but the exact same flavour, anti-allergen this and that but he reacted so badly to it he got quite ill. Switched straight back and he is absolutely fine, so I am sticking with that now no matter what it costs!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sensitive Tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive Tummy   Sensitive Tummy Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Sensitive Tummy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shepherds4Ever :: Shepherd Talk :: Your Shepherds Health-
Jump to: