Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Giardia (often called Beaver Fever) Empty
PostSubject: Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)   Giardia (often called Beaver Fever) Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 10:24 am

About a week ago I noticed that Snowy's poop became rather soft. (Not all the time but occationally.) So I started giving her some pumpkin in her diet. It seemed to help a little, but after about 5 days I took a fecal sample to the vet.

Yesterday I received a call from the vet and the lab result comfirmed she had Giardia (or often called Beaver Fever). The vet asked me if I live near a farm or a field with farm animals. I said no but I told her about the sheep herding clinic. The vet said Snowy most likely picked it up then. She said you could pick up Giardia from eating infested animal feces (often farm/wild animals, or even another dog) but the Giardia in the feces can contaminate the environment and water and infect other animals and people. So we are getting all the dogs treated as a precaution.

Fortunately Snowy doesn't seem to have any discomfort, and she will be fine now that she is being treated. However, Giardia could cause severe damage to intestinal lining if not treated.

So please be aware of this pesky disease…… especailly if your dogs (especailly puppies) may come in contact with farm/wild animals.

Missy & Snowy
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)   Giardia (often called Beaver Fever) Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 11:06 am

I found out also, that everything that may have been infected, like the floors and yard should be cleaned very well, bleach is my choice.
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)   Giardia (often called Beaver Fever) Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 11:47 am

I'll remember that. sunny Thank you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
missyntc

missyntc

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)   Giardia (often called Beaver Fever) Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Yeah I will be cleaning all the crates, dog blankies, chew toys etc... as well as washing all 3 dogs. Oh joy! pale
Back to top Go down
http://missyntc.tripod.com/index.html
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)   Giardia (often called Beaver Fever) Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 2:25 pm

I have an inkling how you feel. Twice in the past month I have had to bath my other (non,GSD) dog for rolling in something stinky.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2008-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)   Giardia (often called Beaver Fever) Icon_minipostedFri May 02, 2008 7:15 pm

Ooh... Thanks for that. Glad to know she's ok, too Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)   Giardia (often called Beaver Fever) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Giardia (often called Beaver Fever)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shepherds4Ever :: Shepherd Talk :: Your Shepherds Health-
Jump to: