Shepherds4Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

About to Leave Us...

Go down 
+8
TeresaR1978
Patti B.
Admin
xOutFromUnder
rexandbaby
Questdriven
GSDManiac
Idess
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Idess

Idess

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-09

About to Leave Us... Empty
PostSubject: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 12:16 pm

I suppose this topic could be moved to "In Loving Memory" if things don't go well, but right now I'll just post it here.

One of our shepherds, Heidi (see my icon) has always been thin and skinny since we rescued her from an abused home. But in the last few days she's barely moved at all. Last night she collapsed in the middle of the driveway, too weak to walk anymore. We carried her inside and laid her down on towels. She refused to eat anything, even meat and wet dog food. Though she did drink water.

I slept on the couch, got about 4 hours of sleep :/ I stayed with her the whole night, she had no strength to sit up longer than a few minutes. Her breathing was very labored.

We finally got her to the vet's this morning, and he agrees that she's on her last leg. He gave us the option of euthanasia or expensive tests, but my mom couldn't bring herself to let Heidi go without trying.
I'm not really expecting her to pull through this, especially not if she's in so much pain. I have come to terms with the fact that I probably said goodbye to her for the last time this morning. We will just have to put more effort into our other doggies, and keep them healthy.

Just posting this here as a lament, a sort of vent. We all need somewhere to let it out, eh? And what better than a group of shepherd lovers <3

About to Leave Us... Shiloheidi023
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

Number of posts : 893

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Oh no... How awful Sad

I wish you the best of luck, whatever happens... Fingers crossed she makes it through and gets better, and we'll be here if worst comes to worst. She is an absolultley beautifful dog, even in old age, and you can vent, vent, vent if you like. It helps allot.

< 3

Last edited by GSDManiac-Wizbash on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2008-03-01

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 1:03 pm

She looks a lot like Cookie. Go ahead and vent. We all need that sometimes. I hope that Heidi ends up being okay.
Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/517115
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 4:18 pm

What a sad post!!! Sad

I want to say that if she was loved, you did all the best that you could do! Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Idess

Idess

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks a ton you guys <3 It is nice to vent.

Unfortunately, she did pass this afternoon at the vet's office. After a lot of bloodwork, the vet told us that her liver and kidneys were failing, and she did indeed test positive for heartworms.

I'm just glad we gave her a good life, and I'm also glad that I got to spend her last night by her side.
Thanks again guys <33
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 4:58 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that...

May she RIP, its good to know she spent her last night with you.

<333
Back to top Go down
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 5:20 pm

Oh, that is way sad! Sad
Back to top Go down
xOutFromUnder

xOutFromUnder

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-03-31

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 5:55 pm

So sorry to hear about your loss Sad
It is wonderful that you rescued her from such an aweful place and gave her a good home to live out the rest of her life. May she RIP.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rachellaurenphotography
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Sad
My cat died of liver problems too.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedWed Apr 02, 2008 3:55 pm

AWW I am terribly sorry! That is awful! There is no hope for her to pull through?
Well I will keep you in my prayers good luck!
Back to top Go down
https://shepherds4ever.forumotion.com
Idess

Idess

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedThu Apr 03, 2008 5:24 pm

Thanks a ton you guys. Im also glad I was able to spend her last night with her. I can't believe it's been only two days since she passed, those days have gone by so slow.

We buried her in our backyard with our other shepherd who died years ago. I'm glad she was able to return home to finally rest.
Back to top Go down
Patti B.

Patti B.

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-01-04

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedThu Apr 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Oh, we're so very sorry. It's never easy. They just have too short lives and it's so sad. How nice you could bury her in the backyard so she is still sort of with you. Everyone has been there, so please know everyone's thoughts are with you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/476604
rexandbaby

rexandbaby

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedSat Apr 05, 2008 2:10 pm

If you need to grieve or just vent, we are here for you! Sad
Back to top Go down
Idess

Idess

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedSun Apr 06, 2008 2:06 pm

Thank you again. It has gotten a bit better, as we're trying to focus our attentions to our other shepherd who was Heidi's half sister. They've never been separated before, and we're worried that she'll get depressed or lonely without a playmate outside. But our other dogs definately have us busy, keeping our mind elsewhere. But it is hard coming home and not seeing her Sad
Back to top Go down
GSDManiac
Mod
Mod
GSDManiac

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedSun Apr 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Aww, how sad...

Its allways heartbreaking after a dog dies, especially if you have another dog who was close to the one that passed.

Has Shilo been grieving, too? Sad
Back to top Go down
TeresaR1978

TeresaR1978

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 12:02 am

I know it is hard to come home and not physically see her but you should always know that a german shepherd will always be by your side and my guess is she is watching over you now in spirit just as the angel she was on earth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mybeschutzershepherds.weebly.com
Questdriven
Admin
Admin
Questdriven

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 1:04 am

I feel like my cat is watching me all the way from Rainbow Bridge sometimes...
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 6:00 pm

I am so sorry for your loss.
Back to top Go down
Idess

Idess

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedTue Apr 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks everyone. The responses to this are amazing < 3
Shilo has been seeming lonely, but we are paying extra attention to her, taking her on walks with our smaller dog, sneaking her inside to be with us while my stepdad is away at work Wink Things are getting easier though, its hard to believe it's only been 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
owners2GSheps2

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedThu May 22, 2008 11:37 pm

So sorry to hear about your loss. It is so hard. We lost 2 last year and 1 this year. Two of them were German Shepherds and one was White German Shepherd and wolf or coyote mix. We miss them terribly. And May 18th was the date 9yrs ago we had to put down our other German Shepherd. She was 5 yrs old and had cancer. They were all our best friends. They are always in our hearts and on our minds just as I know Heidi is with you. God bless you and help you through your sorrow.
Back to top Go down
owners2GSheps2

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedSun Jun 08, 2008 7:23 pm

God bless you. I'm so glad you were with her ,her last night at home. she had a loving home and you are a good person to get her away from her abuse. She looks a lot like our cheyenne that I found abandoned as a puppy at a Circle- K store. She is now 9 yrs old. It is good to talk about her. This is a good forum for that. It's good the other dog isn't grieving for her. After we lost our 2 last year our 9 yr old grieved for a little while. But she came out of it because we got a puppy right away. She likes to mother puppies. She has never had puppies. But if she had , she would have been a good mother. Dee
Back to top Go down
Blkjacku2

Blkjacku2

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedSat Jun 14, 2008 7:11 pm

I am sooo sorry to hear bout your dog Heidi, may she RIP. I hope her sis will be ok:( Sure that she misses Heidi so much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogster.com/group/North_american_german_shepherds-134
AnimalMommy

AnimalMommy

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-03-07

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_minipostedMon Jun 16, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm so sorry. <3

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About to Leave Us...   About to Leave Us... Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

About to Leave Us...
Page 1 of 1